POX is an open source development platform for Python-based software-defined networking (SDN) control applications, such as OpenFlow SDN controllers. POX, which enables rapid development and prototyping, is becoming more commonly used than NOX, a sister project.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
The NOXrepo website lists the following POX features:
- “Pythonic” OpenFlow interface.
- Reusable sample components for path selection, topology discovery, etc.
- “Runs anywhere” – Can bundle with install-free PyPy runtime for easy deployment.
- Specifically targets Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.
- Topology discovery.
- Supports the same GUI and visualization tools as NOX.
- Performs well compared to NOX applications written in Python.
The project website says that the ultimate goal for POX is to use it to create “an archetypal, modern SDN controller.”