Big Tap is a network monitoring application that runs on Big Network Controller, the SDN controller for the Open Software-Defined Network (SDN). Open SDN is a product suite for network virtualization released in November of 2012 by Big Switch Networks.
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Big Tap allows administrators to continuously monitor all aspects of network traffic, so that appropriate data always goes to the proper tool at the right time at minimal cost and with maximum flexibility. Big Tap layers monitoring functions on top of Ethernet switches by taking advantage of open SDN. According to Big Switch Networks, other notable features of Big Tap include:
- Selective filtering and forwarding of traffic to security and monitoring appliances.
- Dynamic extension of functionality to all traffic flow within the network fabric.
- Support for line-rate monitoring applications using OpenFlow-enabled Ethernet switches at up to 40 Gbps (billions of bits per second).
- Support for OpenFlow-enabled physical switches and hypervisor virtual switches from diverse vendors.
- Scalability from a few up to many thousands of network segments and monitoring devices.